Roast Pheasant, Fennel and Orange, Sautéed Potatoes and Creamy Pheasant Sauce
Flavoursome pheasant, crisp potatoes and a creamy sauce make a deliciously different main course in this delightful recipe from the Tanner Brothers
Level of difficulty: Intermediate
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 210 minutes
You will need: cook's knife, chopping board, frying pan, spoon, saucepans, strainer
1 whole pheasant
For the creamy pheasant sauce:
1 pheasant carcass
1 carrot , roughly chopped
½ garlic clove , finely chopped
½ onion , roughly chopped
½ leek , roughly chopped
2 tbsp whipping cream
For the fennel and orange:
1 bulb of fennel
zest of ½ orange
2 tbsp orange juice
4 tbsp olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the potatoes:
2 large baking potatoes , peeled
6 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove , finely chopped
1 tbsp parsley , chopped
1. Remove the breast and legs from the pheasant leaving the skin on.
2. Place the pheasant carcass, and chopped legs together with the carrot, garlic bulb, onion and leek in a large saucepan.
3. Cover generously with water, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 3 hours or until the stock has reduced by 2/3, skimming off any fat that rises to the surface.
4. Cut the fennel bulb into 4 and remove the root. Slice thinly, place in a separate saucepan with orange zest, orange juice and olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place on a low heat and cook gently until wilted (this takes about 4 minutes).
5. Thinly slice the peeled potatoes. Pour 3 tablespoons of the olive oil into a frying pan, add the potatoes and then the garlic and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir in the butter and cook until soft and golden. Stir in the parsley.
6. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Season the pheasant breasts with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and cook the breasts, skin side down, for a couple of minutes until golden. Transfer the breasts to the oven and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Strain the pheasant stock into a saucepan, add the cream, bring to the boil, season and blend with a hand blender until frothy.
8. Divide the potatoes and fennel between each of two warmed dinner plates, slice the pheasant breasts, arrange on top and spoon over the sauce. Serve immediately.